It’s that time of year again. No, not a holiday or summer, though it most definitely is summer here, but the time when I realize how old I am and how much older I’m going to be in a few days. Yes, my birthday is coming up, which means another year gone. Unfortunately, I haven’t done much of what I wanted to do since last year. I didn’t edit a novel or make anything publish-worthy. Instead, I sort of floundered around. The one thing I did accomplish this year was to get my first ~real~ job which could potentially set me on a career path for life if I let it.
My point here is that time moves quickly, and despite our best intentions, goals and dreams can get away from us and sometimes we need to refocus our efforts, so how do we do that? Here are five ways to refocus and succeed! Or something like that.
- Figure out what you really want. Okay, this sounds ridiculously simple but it definitely is not. If we’re talking writing here, which we should be, the question is, what do you want to happen with your writing in the next year, two years, decade? Figure out where you want to be.
- Figure out how to get there. So you want to publish a book–okay. Traditional or self-publishing? How much editing do you need to do? Figure that out first.
- Let your mind wander. You know how you get so many great ideas in the shower? That’s because your mind is isolated and you can think more clearly. It doesn’t have to be a shower. Take a walk, lie on your bed staring at the ceiling. Sometimes it will refocus for you.
- Do other things. I know, this sounds a lot like procrastinating, but sometimes you’re just at a loss for inspiration. Do the things you like to do and help may come to you.
Break the monotony. Having trouble editing? Go outside. Can’t think of an idea? Take a trip! Can’t concentrate?
- Move. Sometimes all it takes is a small change to get things going again.
So there you have it. These are not fool-proof methods by any means. I’ve been stuck before and I’ll be stuck again, but looking at things from a different perspective can help you get unstuck!