I watch a lot of movies, more movies than I read books, but hey, who’s counting? Oh right, the reason we’re here. Most of the time, movies don’t do a book justice but there are those rare occasions when everything works. So here are my top 5 Best and Worst book to movie adaptations.
- Lord of the Rings
- I think this is pretty universally acknowledged as one of the best adaptations out there. Sure, Peter Jackson took a few liberties (lookin’ at that Faramir mess in the 2nd movie) but he managed to fix it.
- Pride & Prejudice
- Am I talking about the 1995 5-hour long movie or the 2005 Keira Knightley adaptation? Both! They are both great and I love them equally.
- The Hunger Games
- I was so excited for these movies to come out and they did not disappoint. My favorite book is Catching Fire and the movie lived up to my expectations (with the exception of leaving out Haymitch’s games, but a fan on youtube has recreated them for us so I’m not too sad).
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower
- I purposefully read the book first so I could watch the movie. I do that pretty often actually. Logan Lerman was perfect in his role as Charlie though Emma Watson’s accent did leave something to be desired.
- O’Brother Where Art Thou
- A great adaptation of the Odyssey. It’s not what you would ever think, but the elements are all there and it’s funny and quirky.
- Harry Potter
- Look, as a huge fan of HP, I so wanted these movies to be amazing. The first movie came out when I was 14 and I was disappointed right from the start. The only movie they even somewhat didn’t f*** up was Deathly Hallows Part 1, in my opinion. Perhaps my standards had been lowered enough by then for me to enjoy it?
- The Hobbit
- Another movie I waited years for. The first installment is actually not that bad. It has a similar feeling to the LotR movies, which was what I was hoping for. The 2nd movie wasn’t quite as good, but the 3rd movie, oh Lord. I felt like I just watched a 3-hour computer program. Way too much CGI. Did this really need to be 3 movies?
- The Haunting (of Hill House)
- A terrible adaptation that didn’t even attempt to follow the book. The book is amazing and everyone should read it.
- Percy Jackson & The Lightning Thief
- I actually saw the movie first. Yes. I just read the books a few weeks ago. On first viewing, it didn’t seem too bad, though the movie didn’t really hold up on a 2nd viewing. After reading the book, I watched the movie again and man, I see now why fans were upset. Bad writing, choppy acting (sorry, Logan. You were great in Wallflower) and it doesn’t follow the book plot at all.
- I heard the movie was bad but I was not expecting it to be that bad. Terrible acting, writing, plotting. Just all around bad. I really liked the first book in the Eragon series (the others did drag on a bit, though, after that). They could have done so much more.
So there you have it. I know there are tons more book/movie adaptations. Wikipedia has an entire list here. What are your top and bottom book adaptations?